Homepage Forums Equitopia Forum Sue Dyson – 24 Behaviors Participant Discussion

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Caroline
      Keymaster
      Use this forum to discuss with other participants on the course
      ‘How to Recognize the 24 Behaviors indicating Pain in the Ridden Horse’.

You can be notified of responses to your post by clicking the ‘Notify me of follow-up replies via email’ checkbox when posting.

You may use this forum to connect with others doing the course. Feel free to share your experience; ask others how they’re getting on; join others on this learning journey. Remember that you are not alone in this course – you are part of a ‘class’ made up of equestrians from all over the world – use this forum to connect with them!
      janemcpeters
      Participant

I am curious how other people are responding as they work through this class. I find my view of horses and riding is changing in a big way. I pursuaded one friend to take the class and she lives some distance from me. I don’t really have people to talk to about the information I am learning. My biggest concern is seeing these behaviors and wondering how to go about alleviating the horse in pain. Believe me when I say that vets around here NEVER watch the horse being ridden, NEVER check saddle fit. They just start injecting joints and giving Adequan and Legend.

Jenn Lindsley
        Participant

I just started this course although completed another course through the IAABC-“Equine Pain Ethogram.” This really changed my perspective as now I see ALL behavior through the lens of pain first and recognize the gap between knowledge and application. In my area, I’ve noticed that some vets are not necessarily trained in thorough lameness examinations, so the response to suspected lameness is medications first, and if it works, great! Keep doing it, and when that stops working, referral to a lameness vet, saddle fitter, chiropractor/physio, etc. Vets are so incredibly busy that I feel it is now up to the owners to do a deeper dive and direct the evaluation and treatment.

janemcpeters
      Participant

I have a Morgan gelding with a fractured left front navicular bone from last February. He actually moves quite well, no overt lameness except with the abscess that came with the fracture. I worked him on the lunge today for the first time since the fracture just to see how he would go. I saw subtle behaviors, opening of the mouth, possibly the tail to one side, some tongue, breaking of gaits, mild hind toe dragging. His tempo is even. He is totally out of shape. He is in a bar shoe with a 3 degree angle pad. I am not asking for a cure or treatment advice. He is under vet supervision with ongoing x-rays. I choose to leave him in a huge pen with a buddy as I feel stall confinement and/or surgery would have been too much for him. I am just wondering how the ethograms apply when not under saddle. My vet has seen him running around and thinks we should treat him based on clinical assessment of lameness not based on the x-rays. I am planning to retire him. Just curious.

Elena Kudina
      Participant

Hi!
      I would like to discuss the videos of the final quiz. There are things i just don’t see and visa versa, things that i think i see but according to the correct answers are not there…
      In order to identify the video I wrote down their lengths:
      00:52 brown horse, rider in green top: I cant see ears back for 5 or more seconds, can you?
      01:29 Rider in a black and white helmet: Tail swishing – is it in the very beginning of the video? Does it count if a horse swishes its tail once? I got the impression from other videos that it has to be a repeated action
      01:15 Black horse, rider in blue coat: I see sclera at 00:41 (but it seems that i see it almost always on this turn, is it a light reflection then?)
      Bit pulled to the left – is it 01:01 and on?
      01:59 Brown shaved, rider in blue top with logo: I can see sclera starting from 01:47, but i get it that it can be a light reflection, hope its easier to see live
      01:02 Brown. green T-shirt: is it not on 3 tracks at 00:45 and on and the beginning of the video as well?
      Couldn’t find Tongue Out – is it at 00:15?

Looking forward to any comments
      Elena

Federica Palumbo
        Participant

hi, have you tried contacting the support email explaining the errors you found? (some are the same ones I found; together with the chestnut horse quiz 5a under the vertical)

email: info@equitopiacenter.com

Hi Elena,
      I hear you, I am struggling with the videos also, have tried 3 times so far and not managed to get beyond 40%. I am not sure the video quality is that great when I slow down the video or pause it.
      It is tougher than I expected
      Glad it’s not just me.
      Alison

Joy Galloway-White
      Participant

Hi all, have just started the course. I find all your comments above very interesting. My youngest horse is a Belgian Cross 15 years approximate age. She was a broodmare in her past life and I got her from a rescue that was shutting down. She has always been short in stride. I sent her for training and wanted only walk trot as her body needed to be further conditioned and I thought, just a feeling, that she needed rest. Basically, she was sent for touch training. For some reason the trainer decided she needed to go into a canter. Penny became instantly lame. Instant. Her point of hip now sticks out, which I had never noticed before, she will drag that foot and rest it at a very awkward angle. My horses all live outside 24/7. The have pasture and trees that form a circular shelter for them which they stand in if raining or windy or if a gale blowing. We live in a winter -30+ climate. Blankets will be used if wind going down past -30 C. I have a massage therapist out that keeps telling me she feels there is a difference. I am not seeing it. Penny does not like to be touched, but I am so very surprised she will come and stand near me if I call her from pasture. She is usually the last one and very slow. Hurts my heart to see her. I have considered putting her down, but am hoping this course will show me what more I can do to help her. She is under vet care as well. The vet and I have had discussions about putting her down. He does not feel there is much hope, but I am hoping my massage person will spring a miracle. My other girl Gracie is about 17 now. She is my riding girl. Shire/Appy X. She is my the best. I have never seen any signs of lameness, yet my young farrier, as she was tapping hard with rasp on hock said she showed some signs of arthritis. I still don’t see it. As she was tapping I was thinking I would show signs of hurting if I got tapped like that. Next time, I will say something, perhaps lose a farrier!

Joy Galloway-White
      Participant

Good evening. I just completed the exercise 5 quiz. I would like to discuss the last photo in the quiz. I did not chose any of the answers as I did not think any of them were suitable. I saw that the horses head was ever so slightly behind the bit. But did not think that it was enough to warrant a point, having said that I did not put a protractor on to measure. What I did notice was that the horse displayed pain with a very glazed eye or intense stare. Also the teeth were showing. I thought both these factors were worth more pain scores than the slight behind the vertical indicated for choice. Can I ask why my choices were not on this question? I chose not to choose any answer as the slight behind the vertical, in my eye, was not enough to score and the other answers had a factor that the horse did not display. Would appreciate a response. Thank you.

Federica Palumbo
        Participant

hi, i have reported to customer support email about this error.
        They are checking for the error and will let me know.

If you need help or need to report errors you can contact this email: info@equitopiacenter.com

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.