While we have already mentioned the role of the rider’s experience, budget and motivation in evaluating an appropriate purchasing strategy, we fill finish with a reminder list of considerations when undertaking the task of owning and riding a horse:
- Examine your motivation in relation to the welfare of the horse
- Make sure your budget is sufficient for your management program and expectations
- Make sure you have sufficient, reliable educational resources
- Make sure you have access to a reliable team of professionals (vet, farrier, trainer, saddle fitter, nutritionist, behavior consultant etc.) to help you as and where appropriate
- Make sure you pick the appropriate horse for your level of experience, time available, budget, expectations and personality.
- And, finally – enjoy the journey and the time spent with your horse!